If you’re anything like me, you love beauty products but hate all the nasty additives and chemicals. One product can contain dozens of endocrine disruptors, known carcinogens, and harmful, toxic “things.” You can check your favorite and most used products on the Environmental Working Groups, Skin Deep Database. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
If you are going to use beauty products, there are pretty two ways to ensure you avoid the harmful ones; 1. buy healthful beauty products you trust (like Badger, Avalon, etc.) but beware, many brands are not as “natural” as they claim, and they are quite expensive, or 2. make your own.
Homemade beauty products are fun and a very cost effective way to clean up your beauty act. All ingredients can be purchased on Amazon. Alicia purchased the lip balm tubes and deodorant containers on Amazon as well. In this post I will cover two essentials; deodorant and lip balm.
- Roughly 1 cup coconut oil
- A quarter cup each beeswax
- A quarter cup baking soda
- A quarter cup arrowroot starch
- 2 drops tea tree oil, 10 drops lavender (both tea tree and lavender kill bacteria. Bacteria, not sweat cause body odor).
- A few wafers of cocoa butter (if you don’t have wafers – about a heaping tablespoon of solid would work)
Place coconut oil, beeswax, baking soda, coca butter, and arrowroot starch in a double boiler. Melt until liquid. Pull off heat. Add essential oils. Stir together and pour through funnel into deodorant forms. Allow to harden. Put on caps.
- Equal parts cocoa butter, coconut oil, and wax, (half beeswax, half candelila wax)
- A few drops of peppermint essential oils
- Optional – a few teaspoons of shimmery bare mineral makeup
Place cocoa butter, coconut oil, and waxes into double boiler. Melt until liquid. Pull off heat. Add essential oils. Stir together and pour through small funnel into lip balms tubes.
It very simple to make these products. In under one hour we made three deodorants and eight lip balms. It is as simple as purchasing your bulk, base ingredients and making the products you wish. We typically get together once a month and make scrubs, bath soaks for us and the kiddos, lip balms, and whatever else we need.
Scrubs are very simple. I often throw some sugar, olive oil, and my favorite EO in a dish before my shower. It is very easy to make a quick scrub at home when needed. Here is my favorite quick scrub:
Lavender Almond Sugar Scrub (mix all ingredients in a dish)
- 1 Handful of coarse sugar (any will do)
- A couple of tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 drop lavender
- 1 drop almond extract
What are some of you favorite natural products? Do you make any at home?
The Joyful Homemaker